5 best practices for web application testing
However, testing a web application is not just an ordinary task, and depends on several factors such as compatibility across various browsers, application performance, user experience, ensuring proper security, etc.
The enterprises must deploy skilled testers to assess all aspects of the website across platforms, browsers, and devices. The testers must always implement web application testing best practices in order to produce accurate and reliable test results without increasing testing times. Here are the 5 best practices for web application testing
2. Evaluate the Application’s Performance Under Various ConditionsIn addition to assessing the proper working of the application on all devices and browsers, it is also equally important to ensure that it does not crash under heavy loads. Sometimes minor flaws in the coding or design can affect the website’s performance adversely. Therefore, it is important to perform load testing and evaluate how the application performs under varying loads. There are various automation tools available to accelerate load testing.
3. Choose the Right Parameters for Usability TestingUsability and the user-experience of the web applications are of the utmost importance to keep the visitors engaged and convert them into customers. Hence, it is important to evaluate the usability of the applications based on the most appropriate parameters. Performing usability testing on the application before its release is a best practice. Usability testing involves several parameters such as UI design, speed, navigability, content readability, and accessibility.
4. Validate all Security Issues with Security TestingUnderestimating the significance of web application security is a ticking time bomb. Even a single vulnerability can lead to a massive data breach that can shake even the largest of companies down to its grounds, causing a negative impact, substantial financial consequences, and the loss of public trust. It is therefore imperative to ensure that the web application is thoroughly tested on the security front.
A number of strategies that should be incorporated into the web app security testing are as follows:
• Defining coding standards and quality controls
• Creating strategies based on both internal and external challenges
• Using industry standards as a benchmark
• Implementing a cross-functional approach to policy building5. Integrate Exploratory Testing in the Software
Development LifecycleExploratory testing reduces testing time and discovers more defects. As a regular practice in the software testing approach, testers write and execute test cases simultaneously. When failing to understand the shortcomings of exploratory testing, they are surrounded by more defects. By integrating exploratory testing with other black-hat and white-hat software testing techniques, the limitations of web app testing can be easily overcome. The integration can help in producing more reliable test results while reducing the testing time significantly.
Author Signature :
I work as a Senior Testing Specialist at TestingXperts. I handled day-to-day operations for all aspects of software testing. With over 7 years of professional experience I know how to build strong connection with the clients and testing capability.