Smoking or Chewing Tobacco Worse
Smoking Cigarettes and chewing Tobacco remain two of the most common causes of avoidable unhealthiness and early death. In fact, Cigarettes and Tobacco are responsible for one in every five deaths in India. Furthermore, Nicotine, being highly addictive, raises the levels of dopamine and produces withdrawal symptoms while on discontinuation.
Consequences of Smoking:
Smokers die 5-8 years earlier than non-smokers. They have:
- An impaired sense of smell and taste.
- More facial wrinkles.
- Twice the risk of fatal heart diseases.
- 10 times the risk of lung cancer.
- Several times the risk of the mouth, throat, esophagus, kidney, bladder and cervix cancer.
- A two to threefold higher incidence of stroke and peptic ulcers (which seldom heal in case of smokers).
- A two to fourfold greater risk of fractures of the hip, wrist and vertebrae.
- Four times the risk of invasive pneumococcal disease.
- A twofold increase in cataracts.
In India, over 90% of cases of chronic pulmonary disease (COPD) occur with current or former smokers. Furthermore, both, Active smoking and Passive smoking, along with a progression in a carotid artery atherosclerosis, can be associated with deterioration of the elasticity of the aorta. Other then this liver disease which comes in body due to alcohol, has emerged as a serious public health challenge. Read
Special kinds of Smokers:
Other than the general kind of smokers, which face the above mentioned consequences, there are some special cases, such as:
- Smoking in postmenopausal women has also been associated with increased risks of leukemia of the colon and prostate cancer.
- Patients who continue to smoke during radiation therapy have lower rates of response than who do not smoke.
- The children of smokers have
- low birth weight
- more probability of being mentally retarded
- more frequent respiratory infections
- less efficient pulmonary function.
- For those with coronary artery disease, smoking cessation
- reduces the risks of death and myocardial infarction
- lessens the risk of stroke.
- improves COPD symptoms.
Author Signature :
AstoCare is the medicinal and healthcare assistance platform that closely takes care of all your medical needs. We are among one of the most trusted doctor-patient platforms that especially concentrates on providing valuable healthcare delivery to our patients.
○ AstoCare is a one stop solution for all your medical needs. Just login to AstoCare and book with the best medical professionals of your city online. No needs to wait in the waiting lines anymore. ..